Brief Posting Description
The Project Controls group provides the leadership, tools and systems necessary to effectively and proactively manage, control, and report on Transmission's capital financial data and project schedules across the entire project portfolio. The Project Controls Specialist coordinates business processes related to Transmission's financial management, work order creation, work order closing, project scheduling and other Project Controls functions. The Project Controls Specialist will be primarily focused on either Transmission's capital financial management or project schedule management, but would have the opportunity to be fluent in both. Provides support to the Senior Manager Transmission Engineering & Construction, Program Manager, Project Management group and Senior Project Controls Specialist(s) for tracking, management, reporting and change control for project costs and schedules.
Serves as primary budgetary liaison between Transmission and various Tri-State departments including: Telecom Engineering, Land Rights & Permitting, System Metering, Accounting, Finance, Budget, Maintenance, System Operations, Power System Planning, Contracts, Audit, and Facilities.
NOTE: There is one position available, and the position will be filled at one of three levels: Project Controls Associate (job grade NB18), Project Controls Specialist (job grade NB20) or Senior Project Controls Specialist (job grade NB22). This decision will be made based on the qualifications of the selected candidate as well as Tri-State business needs at the time of hire.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Financial Management Responsibilities:
- Create and maintain Asset Suite Work Orders for Transmission Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering and System Metering; Large Generator Interconnection Projects (LGIP); Transmission and Service Requests (TSR); and System Planning Studies.
- Provide support and coordination on financial forecasting and reporting to improve Transmission's financial discipline and cash flow to allow for a more accurate and accountable capital budget.
- Maintain the estimate data base within the Hyperion program and provide analysis and reporting.
- Assist in coordinating the creation of the annual Capital Budget with Power System Planning, Maintenance, Transmission Engineering, Land Rights & Permitting, Telecommunications Engineering, System Metering and the Financial Planning departments.
- Track and provide reporting related to the Capital Budget and Capital Project cost data.
- Provide direction to the Accounting Department for any issues related to payments, invoicing, or administration of Capital Projects.
- Assist Project Management and other groups in accurately creating project accounting during initial project set up.
- Coordinate Capital Project close-outs to ensure Property Record Retirement Units are identified correctly and provided to Accounting in a timely manner.
- Provide reports and monthly updates to Management, Transmission Engineering, Accounting, and Finance on status of Capital Progress (In 'Progress', 'Energized', or 'Closed').
- Assist in developing and implementing schedules and procedures for the annual Capital Budget process.
- Provide training to others on financial software programs, Asset Suite, Hyperion, OBIEE and other essential tools.
- Review capital project contracts/agreements with Project Management and coordinate invoicing and payments (with Member Systems and outside entities) to ensure costs are recovered and/or paid per the contract.
Project Scheduling Responsibilities:
- Responsible to develop and maintain thorough working knowledge of Primavera P6.
- Develop, maintain and update project schedules ensuring consistency with approved schedule templates, schedule governance and the individual project scope of work.
- Work closely with Project Managers on schedule creation to ensure project schedules accurately reflect the individual project scope of work, responsibilities, construction sequencing & outage requirements and the project in service date.
- Interface with project team members to gather schedule update information, analyze the updated information relative to the project schedule baseline and communicate potential schedule impacts to the Project Manager.
- Assist the Project Manager in resolving any schedule impacts working directly with the project team members.
- Proactively align department resources with individual project schedules in Primavera P6 based on the estimated hours per project for each department.
- Provide support and coordination on resource forecasting within Primavera P6 to aid Transmission in determining the volume of capital work that can be performed in house and how much external resource is needed to support the entire portfolio of capital work.
- Provide analysis and reporting on resource forecasting, resource gap management and recommend resource solutions.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
- Participate in teams involved with documenting, standardizing, and sharing process improvements and continuous learning across the Transmission business unit.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
NOTE: The job duties/responsibilities above describe the Senior Project Controls Specialist job grade (NB22). The scope and accountability of the position will be less for those hired at the Project Controls Associate (NB18) or Project Controls Specialist (NB20).
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: responsible for planning and carrying out work independently, setting priorities and meeting deadlines, and ensuring quality of work.
- Time Management: ability to manage work load, track incoming requests and ensure timely completion of tasks.
- Technical knowledge: ability to understand technical aspects of software programs.
- Ability to interpret and apply guidelines consistent with company and Board of Director's objectives, policies, programs, and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, together with an advanced written skill set.
- A team player and with good leadership skills.
- Ability to work with minimal direction, must be a self-starter, always be motivated and demonstrate confidence
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Project Management, Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite, intermediate proficiency in MS Excel.
- Ability to stay current with personal computer technology and software.
- Working knowledge of accounting systems and procedures. Preferred experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) rules.
- Experience and knowledge with Primavera P6, scheduling techniques, and resource forecasting and reporting preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships.
- The Senior Project Controls Specialist requires a minimum of six (6) experience in project management/program management, project controls, accounting, and budget preparation in the electric utility industry or equivalent area.
- The Project Controls Specialist requires a minimum of four (4) years experience in project management/program management, project controls, accounting, and budget preparation in the electric utility industry or equivalent area.
- The Project Controls Associate requires zero (0) to two (2) years experience in construction management, project/program management, or accounting and budget preparation.
- Willingness to travel occasionally as required for training, meetings and conferences. (Must possess a valid driver's license.)
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- General knowledge of electric power systems.
- Knowledge of FERC procedures and regulations.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is normally working in an office environment and will occasionally be required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, bend, climb stairs, and possibly need to reach above and below shoulder level and push/pull objects of varying weights, and lift up to fifty pounds.
Mental demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, direct others, present information to others and work under pressure.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed to an office environment indoors and occasionally will travel outdoors to multiple locations dependent on work.
All employees interested in this position may apply online at the Tri-State Intranet site.
Click on Job Postings, then click on the iRecruitment link, Log In, then click on the iRecruitment Employee Candidate link and then click on Search for jobs.
Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association is a wholesale electric power supplier owned by the 43 electric cooperatives that it serves. Tri-State generates and transmits electricity to its member systems throughout a 200,000 square-mile service territory across Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and Wyoming.
Serving approximately 1.5 million consumers, Tri-State was founded in 1952 by its member systems to provide a reliable, cost-based supply of electricity. Headquartered in Westminster, Colorado, about 1,500 people are employed by Tri-State throughout its four-state service area.
Tri-State's power is generated through a combination of owned baseload and peaking power plants that use coal and natural gas as their primary fuels, supplemented by purchased power, federal hydroelectricity allocations and renewable resource technologies. Tri-State delivers power to its members through a transmission system that includes substation facilities, telecommunications sites and over 5000 miles of high voltage transmission lines.
Interested? Here is how to Apply:
Tri-State: Join the people behind the power. Tri-State recognizes the value of a highly-engaged and committed workforce and provides an excellent benefits program that includes medical, dental, retirement and life insurance. Please visit our careers site at www.tristategt.org/careers/for more details.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
2994 Frosty Lane
Alfred, NY 14802
Career Objective : Seeking a position as Project Control Specialist in highly reputed and professional organization.
Summary of Qualifications
Extensive experience in tracking, review, control, management and reporting of project costs, safety, quality, schedule, and staff performance
Solid understanding of principles, practices, and processes related to project planning, scheduling, and control
Profound knowledge of practices and techniques related to project management, financial and risk analysis and forecasting methods
Familiarity with advanced Planning Scheduling, Cost Control principles, math concepts, and contract types
Proficient in using Microsoft Project, Primavera P6, Contract Manager, MS Office software program and project management software
Outstanding ability to manage, track and control actual project costs and change orders, efficiently
Remarkable ability to analyze and interpret financial reports, legal documents and technical diagrams, accurately
Project Control Specialist, 2008 - Present
USmax Corporation - Vienna, VA
Facilitated tracking, evaluation, control ,management and reporting of project quality, safety, cost, schedule, and staff performance.
Supervised budgeting, manpower planning, resourece planning and financial reporting activities.
Reviewed existing processes, procedures, models and systems of management and implemented corrective actions to fulfill project objectives and requirements.
Assisted in accurate verification, reporting and documentation of all contracts, commitments and invoices into the cost system.
Assisted in evaluation of all major vendors, suppliers and subcontractors associated with company project.
Assisted in tracking, control and maintenance of change management processes, procedures and systems, in an effective manner and on time.
Assisted in creation and maintainence of progress measurement systems for assigned projects.
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, 2008
Eastern Oklahoma State College, Wilburton, OK
GPA 3.76 (on scale of 4.0)