How to Apply
Our residency program participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Our ACGME Identification Number is: 320-35-11-176. Applications will only be accepted through ERAS.
Through ERAS, please submit the following:
- Personal statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Photograph (optional)
- Medical School transcript
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) Letter
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- USMLE scores
- If applicable, your standard certificate from the ECFMG. This is required prior to the start of residency.
Criteria for Selection to Interview
We accept both USMLE and COMLEX scores. There are no cut-off scores for performance on either, but there is a preference given to applicants who pass their examinations on the first attempt and demonstrate strong academic and clinical performance in medical school.
For More Information About Our Program
To contact Program Leadership:
Dr. Kapklein - Matthew_Kapklein@nymc.edu
Dr. Moon -Caroline_Moon@bchphysicians.org
To contact our Chief Residents:
Dr. Cassie Louis and Dr. Christina Mezzone- WestPeds@wmchealth.org
914-493-6669 or 914-493-6447
To arrange a "second look," please contact:
Westchester Medical Center
Maria Fareri Children's Hospital
100 Woods Road
Valhalla, New York 10595
All applications must go through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) www.aamc.org/eras. We encourage both allopathic and osteopathic graduates of U.S. medical schools as well as highly qualified international graduates to apply.
For all applicants:
- USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK & CS or COMLEX Level 1, Level 2 CE & PE are required.
- High scores on these exams (minimum of 205 for USMLE, 480 for COMLEX), with each part taken only once are strongly preferred. Candidates with lower scores may be considered if the rest of their application is very strong, however, those with failures on more than one step will not be considered.
- A personal statement explaining your interest in psychiatry is very important. Please do not simply reiterate your accomplishments; let us know something about yourself that is not on the application.
- Interviews begin in early November and applications should be submitted no later than December 15.
- Interviews are conducted on Fridays, either 8:45-1:30, or 11:15-4:00. Please see www.aamc.org/eras for information about the application process.
For International Medical Graduates:
- American psychiatric experience (at least one month, more is preferred), with letters from American physicians, including at least one psychiatrist, is required. Equivalent experience will also be considered (e.g. UK, Canada, some other countries).
- Research experience is desirable, but not required.
- Recent graduation from medical school is also preferred.
- U.S. citizenship, J1 visa status or a green card are preferred. H1B visas will be considered only if you have passed Step 3 prior to the deadline for us to submit the rank order list to the Match.
- Passing Step 3 is desirable.
- ECFMG certification is required, but applicants may be interviewed if they have passed Step 1 and Step 2 CK & CS, but have not yet received their certification.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Our residency is approximately 50% each of international and US graduates.